Monday, November 4, 2013

The Monster-Go-Round

The June 1973 issue of Gold Key's Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #47 is a full-on collection of four nicely illustrated, though somewhat harmless, freaky creature stories. Hairy transformations, slimy things from the deep, and this strange little tale of a merry-go-round featuring monsters instead of horses or the usual type wooden animals. It's nothing mind blowing or terrifying, just an interesting "spin" on the pre-code inspired, fitting twist ending I dig so much...





5 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

I always had a place in my heart for these more "sweet" twilight-zone-ish tales. This one works great (assuming you buy a carnival ride going that fast) and the art, while a bit amateur, is well laid out and fits the story.

I'd like to see more from this issue!

Still trying to figure out the safety precautions of putting a little girl on that tree trunk, though!

Mr. Karswell said...

I like the art here a lot, as slick as it is in the other stories from this issue, I think this looser style creates a nice sense of mood and motion. I'd be happy to post more from this issue, all of the stories are fun and have some really goofy cool monsters

Mestiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Karswell said...

Hey Mestiere Man, I posted some of the UFO comic stuff over at my other blog back in January in case you missed it, check here:

http://andeverythingelsetoo.blogspot.com/2013/01/ufo-mysteries.html

Grant said...

I feel the same way about the Gold Key ones. Gold Key comics in general seem to get a bad rap, not just the horror ones.
I never had that many, but two Boris Karloff issues I'm sentimental about are # 36 and # 38. They have creatures that are that much weirder than the ones in the stories here, almost "cartoonish" but still scary.